We have collected a great variety of questions from our visitors.      This one came to us from Delores P.  here in Austin.

“I don’t have a lot of money or time to spend on planning.   What would be the one thing you would recommend I do for my elderly parents who are in their 70s?”

If I was in your boots, I would get all of the legal paperwork in place ASAP.    Having UP-TO-DATE legal paperwork in place is the cornerstone of making a transition as smooth as possible for your family and gives them the tools to carry out your parents’ wishes.    This goes for your own needs also!  If a person dies intestate (without a will) the state will determine how the estate will be divided.     Most people object to that course of settlement.     Without the proper Legal Power of Attorney, Medical Power of Attorney,  or Living Will,  family’s are hindered in their ability to act on your behalf in the event you become incapacitated.       The chance that an emergency can arise without these in place is a chilling thought to say the least.      This would be my first course of action.   For a list of the basic legal documents that you need, go to the Help Yourself page and you can download the list there.